Dr.S.Sunder, Physiatrist, a rehabilitation professional himself, instituted a Charitable Trust in the year 1997, commemorating the 50th year of our independence under the name of FREEDOM TRUST with a desire to promote, perform and carry out various charitable objectives for the welfare of economically backward disabled persons and to improve their living conditions. He is the Managing Trustee of the trust.
Freedom Trust stands for Foundation for the Rehabilitation, Education and Empowerment of the Disabled of Madras. The mission of Freedom Trust is to limit the disability of economically backward people with a desire to improve their quality of life, and make them independent.
Rehabilitation and provision of locomotor aids can make a huge difference on a disabled person’s future; a handicapped human being can be empowered to lead a good and dignified life in which he can contribute to society in his own abled way. Our mission is to make this happen.
OBJECTIVES OF THE TRUST
- To conduct medical camps using qualified Doctors, headed by Dr Sunder and paramedical staff for the rehabilitation of the handicapped.
- To provide wheel chairs, tricycles, tripods, calipers, crutches and other locomotor aids for children.
- To take measurements for and provide calipers, artificial limbs, splints, collars and braces free of cost to the economically backward.
- To extend training & scholarship to exceptionally talented disabled children in the fields of arts, music & dance.
- To run an inpatient rehabilitation centre for the economically backward sections.
- To train physiotherapists, orthotists, occupational therapists and special educators.
- To start a special school for children with learning disability with qualified special educators.
- To set up research and development of technology in rehabilitation.