Foundation for the Rehabilitation Education and Empowerment of the Disabled of Madras (Freedom Trust) was founded in the year 1997 to cater to the needs of the physically challenged in terms of their mobility and livelihood by Dr. Sunder, rehabilitation professional.
The main objective of the trust is to provide mobility aids like wheel chairs, tricycles and orthoses to the rural physically challenged. Over the years the foundation has distributed mobility aids and appliance to about 22,500 physically challenged and has conducted 500 rural camps.
Under its talent promotion “Sishupunarjanmam” scheme over 40 exceptionally talented special children (visually impaired, hearing & speech impaired) have been given scholarships and training.
OBJECTIVES OF THE TRUST
- To conduct medical camps using qualified Doctors, headed by Dr Sunder and paramedical staff for the rehabilitation of the handicapped.
- To provide wheel chairs, tricycles, tripods, calipers, crutches and other locomotor aids for children.
- To take measurements for and provide calipers, artificial limbs, splints, collars and braces free of cost to the economically backward.
- To extend training & scholarship to exceptionally talented disabled children in the fields of arts, music & dance.
- To run an inpatient rehabilitation centre for the economically backward sections.
- To train physiotherapists, orthotists, occupational therapists and special educators.
- To start a special school for children with learning disability with qualified special educators.
- To set up research and development of technology in rehabilitation.